St Michael’s Church in Croydon
The Parish of St Michael, Croydon was founded in July 1871, and a wooden church opened on the site of our present building in September 1872. The size of the congregation soon outgrew the capacity of the wooden church, and by 1874 plans were being made for a larger building. John Loughborough Pearson was chosen as the architect of the present church. The foundation stone was laid in April 1880, but the church was not fully completed until 1895. Ours is a very beautiful church, with additional furnishings from G E Street and G. F. Bodley. St Michael’s was described by the poet John Betjeman as 'one of Pearson's loveliest churches’. It is a Grade-1 listed building. In 1980, the neighboring parish of St James’ Croydon was united with St Michael’s. In January 1985, the parish became part of the Diocese of Southwark, having been until then in the Diocese of Canterbury. We are fortunate to be the custodians of such a beautiful house of prayer, in a part of Croydon where architectural beauty is in short supply. It is a blessing to be able to worship God in the beauty of holiness, thanks to our building, as well as to our musicians and servers who contribute so much to our worship week by week.