A woman was treated by ambulance crews after she managed to escape from a house fire last night.
Part of the ground floor of an end-of-terrace house was damaged by the fire. One woman escaped from the building before the London Fire Brigade (LFB) arrived, and was treated by the London Ambulance Service.
There have been no reports of any injuries.
The LFB has confirmed that there were no working smoke alarms in the property. The cause of the fire was accidental, and due to an electrical fault in a consumer unit.
A LFB spokesman said: “This incident is a timely reminder about the importance of having smoke alarms in your home.
“Homes need multiple smoke alarms or you won’t be properly covered.
“As a minimum, you should have smoke alarms on every floor of your home – in the hallways and in the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the bathroom and kitchen.”
The LFB was called at around 7.15pm and the fire was under control by around 8.15pm.
Fire crews from Croydon, Woodside and Mitcham fire stations were at the scene.
Pictured top: The house in Sutherland Road in Croydon, damaged by fire (Picture: The LFB)
Everyone at the South London Press thanks you for your continued support.
Former Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has encouraged everyone in the country who can afford to do so to buy a newspaper, and told the Downing Street press briefing:
“A free country needs a free press, and the newspapers of our country are under significant financial pressure”.
If you can afford to do so, we would be so grateful if you can make a donation which will allow us to continue to bring stories to you, both in print and online. Or, please make cheques payable to “MSI Media Limited” and send by post to South London Press, Unit 112, 160 Bromley Road, Catford, London SE6 2NZ